6/28/07

Childhood memories? Ay, dios.


Mexican dancers
Originally uploaded by ronnie44052
Wow. I look at this and shudder. Why would the cutest group of young dancers make me shudder? Well, because I look at the girl and blue and see myself thirty years ago. Ach. Once that would have been me, growing up in a nowhere part of Mexico forced to dance with my class -- the only güerita in the bunch. Hated every minute of it, especially the stupid dress and hairdo. Yep. Then they wonder why we hate to be called cute...

3 comments:

jb said...

My nightmare was being forced year after year to be a part of the audience!!! One of two boys in the family with three older sisters who just had to be a part of this singing group or that drama troupe -- yuk!!!!

The worst part was being forced to smile and pretend to enjoy myself -- dressed in a seriously too small suit, complete with chokingly tight tie and greased back hair!

It started when I was four and didn't stop until I was close to twelve, and all the while, being the youngest, my cheeks had to endure the pinching and pulling of complete strangers telling me how adorable and cute I was.....so, yeah, now that I think about it, I get the hating to be called cute thing....

DeLi said...

i can just imagine the feeling...
me wearing the fashion of my parents, and my facial expression of disgust is most often seen and interpreted as cute.........

Citlali said...

JB, I'm so glad you understand...

deli, I totally feel ya = ]

Thank you both for the visit!